Thursday, September 1, 2011

Project Runway, 9/1/11

Bert and Anthony Ryan have decided to put their differences aside and get along. And those of us who quickly tired of and were annoyed by everyone ganging up on Chris all last season long say YAY.


At the Harlem School of the Arts, Tim explains the challenge: kiddie artists are going to paint a picture, and then the designers must use that picture as inspiration for an avant garde look. Cool. I don’t really like avant garde challenges—most of the outfits look like crazy costumes to me—but this’ll be fun.
- Anthony Ryan is paired with a 17-yr-old Wu; they paint self portraits of themselves.
- Viktor is with 12-yr-old Skyy, who talks too much but paints beautiful swirls.
- Bert is getting along great with (cute) 16-yr-old Antonio because Antonio is very quiet.
- Josh C. seems to be telling 17-yr-old Sasha what to paint, some sort of wolf creature. Is that fair?
- Becky and 16-yr-old Maris are in outer space together.
- Olivier (LOVE) scares 17-yr-old Tonyalee telling her he likes really depressing music. Lol.
- Josh M. seems to like 15-yr-old Patrice’s work.
- Anya thinks 16-yr-old AJ is painting “trees on fire."
- 17-yr-old Aubrey is painting a face for Bryce.
- Laura Kathleen explains to 11-yr-old Kai how difficult the last challenge was. Kai says “Failure is opportunity in disguise.” I hit pause, write that down, and put it on my refrigerator.
- Kimberly loves the red and the shoulders in 11-yr-old Claudette’s bird painting. They high five.


Promise: if this is the episode that Olivier (LOVE) finally makes something I like, I swear on Mountain Dew that I will name a character in my novel after Tonyalee. Oh no—he’s buying chiffon! The fabric that got Danielle sent home last week! *worried* Ok, I’m seriously starting to hate Josh M. Like, HATE HIM. Last episode, he went bitchcakes on Becky, but he apologized so I tried to forgive him—but then this episode, he would not shut up about how much he severely hates Patrice’s painting. “What the hell is inspiring on this canvas?” My god, WHAT A DICK. Patrice is likely watching this episode, and probably with family and friends. Josh M.’s rude, insulting, infantile rant about the painting probably embarrassed the hell outta the poor kid. :( Josh C. had a way more level-headed approach: “I think the most important part of the inspiration is taking more of the emotions and feelings from the work, and not doing something too literal.” Yeah!

Arrrrrrggghhh. Hearing Bert’s moving story again, I came THIS close to getting choked up.


Viktor, who has been in my “Please Don’t Win” column ever since the team challenge debacle with Bert, got another strike, saying that Lady Gaga wears avant garde then insulting Beyonce’s clothing line. Look, fool. Lady Gaga’s looks are RIDICULOUS. She routinely makes all the worst dressed lists, and the blogosphere has a field day ripping apart her nonexistent fashion sense. If that’s avant garde (IT ISN’T), then I’ll opt instead for something from Beyonce’s House of Dereon clothing any day. And you WISH you had a clothing line as successful as hers. So eat poo, jerk.


The judges liked Laura Kathleen’s and Anthony Ryan’s dresses. Me too. First of all, they’re actually pretty; secondly, they really interpret their paintings well. I liked LK’s better, though. Wow, I HATED Josh M.’s look. A lot. I cannot BELIEVE the judges liked it. The bottom was paper bag; the top was crumpled, violently orange tissue paper. Yuck. And since he so detested the painting that inspired it, he doesn’t deserve the praise. But at least he didn’t win. Good for you, Anthony Ryan. (You got robbed, LK.)


I was kind of ok with Olivier’s (LOVE) wispy, wavy, airy dress. Very much not my favorite look, but since unlike all his other stuff I don’t totally loathe it, I guess I’m naming a character in my novel Tonyalee! He shoulda known better than to try to glue the dress onto his model, but when your time management skills are as bad as his, you get stuck. Not surprisingly, the judges hated his dress; they could clearly see that it was a hurried effort; plus, it had, like, NOTHING to do with Tonyalee’s painting. But they all agreed the bodice was well made, so mayhap he should be ok, in light of Josh C.’s bad wolf dress and Bert’s ridiculous pantsuit. DAMMIT, Heidi gave Bert a total pass for that catastrophe of a pantsuit? Eff! So, wow. I can’t believe that 1. Olivier (LOVE) was in the bottom two (it should have been Bert and Josh C.!) 2. with a look I kinda liked. I was panicking something fierce, but thankfully, the wolf dress out-uglied all others. Buh-bye (again), Josh.

No comments: