Thursday, August 4, 2011

Project Runway, 8/4/11


Yes! The unconventional-materials challenge. Hands down, my fave episode of every Project Runway season. Because anybody calling him or herself a designer can go to Mood, buy fine fabrics, and make clothes. But when all you have to work with is what you got at a pet store, you really have to be a. talented and b. creative. Real designers embrace the challenge and make amazing clothes. (See: Austin’s cute corn husk dress, grocery store challenge, season 1.) Fake posers, after bellyaching incessantly about how working with such materials is sooooooo beneath them, produce utter crap. (See: Emilo’s WTF-inducing bikini, hardware store challenge, season 7.)

Ok, I guess this is going to become a regular thing until she is (hopefully soon) eliminated, so here goes this week’s Laura Kathleen rant. Quote: “I was raised in a upper class family. … I’ve been shopping at Nieman’s since I was in single digits. That kinda gives me knowledge knowing I can’t put crap out there and expect people to call it luxury.” UGH. She has the oratory skills of frozen yogurt. And that statement makes ZERO sense and served no other purpose other than to remind us—AGAIN—that her family is rich. Well if they’re so rich, you braggadocios bimbo, they should have been able to afford better schools, where you would have learned that it’s “an upper class,” not “a upper class.”

Every season, there’s a designer who completely ignores Tim’s don’t-go-the-easy-route advice. This year, it’s Bert. Then again, why work hard if you don’t have to? He has immunity, so he could contrast-stitch “Michael and Nina are BLOOMING IDIOTS” onto his dress, and he’d be safe. (Who? Me? Still mad about Gretchen? Whatever gave you that idea????) Hmmmm … there’s potential in what Olivier (LOVE) is doing. I’m hopeful. I LOVE him (yes, it requires all caps), so I want to like his clothes, but I hated his look last week. OOOOH! Tim just gave me a new word: fabulocity.

Fave looks: Fallene’s, Viktor’s, Julie’s, Josh’s aquarium top-black skirt combo, and Anthony’s bird seed dress. Dammit, I don’t the like look Olivier (LOVE) sent down the runway this week, either. In fact … ok, I HATED it. But he totally transformed some very unconventional materials; plus I LOVE him so much that I don’t want him to go home. (I’m still not over losing Rafael last week.) So yay that the judges loved it! Eff, nobody liked Fallene’s (not even Fallene, lol)? But I thought it was cute!


I didn’t immediately hate Bryce’s pee-pad dress … then I compared it with Viktor’s pee-pad dress. The difference is night and day. Bryce dyed the pads a boring blue and glued them together into a snore-fest napkin dress. (Having said that, Nina irked me with that lame ass “She looks like she’s from the Blue Man Group.” Huh? Those guys wear black clothes, blue makeup on their heads, and blue gloves. Not blue napkin dresses. Pop culture reference FAIL, Nina.) Viktor, on the other hand, dyed the pads a pretty lavender and transformed them into a chic, well-fitted cocktail dress. Fabulocity! I can’t believe it wasn’t even among the top looks.


*sigh* Once again, Nina is stupid, and my Heidi is the voice of reason. LOVE for Olivier aside, I. Hated. His. Dress. But Nina preferred it just cuz the bird seed dress was an inch or so short???? Grrrr. And the guest judge chick could see it too, noting that “the fit wasn’t quite as perfect” as Anthony’s: “The top was a little dumpy.” Yeah that, and the dress was all-around fug. “If you put those two next to each other, bird seeds win!” Heidi almost-yelled at Nina. TEAM HEIDI. But, even though aquarium top or bird seeds should have won, yaaaaaaaaaay Olivier! LOVE.

Laugh laugh laugh laugh at that dirty look Heidi shot Nina when saying “I was overruled.” I’m totally getting the feeling that, like me, Heidi is not and will never be over Gretchengate. Wtf—Fallene’s in the bottom but Bryce is safe? Oh come on! Her dress was cute, dammit!!!!!!!!!!! But at least it didn’t get her sent home. Buh-bye, Josh!

Michael Kors: “I’m going through man-opause.” Ha ha ha ha ha!

No comments: