Saturday, February 25, 2012

Top Chef, 2/22/12

I’ve been putting this off because there’s only a one in three chance that somebody I don’t hate is going to win. But I guess nothing can be worse than Gretchen winning her season of Project Runway, so let’s do this.

CRAPDAMMIT. Just to rub it in my face that Beverly went home last week, it’s an Asian-themed Quickfire. And of course Sarah says how glad she is that she doesn’t have to compete against Bev. Ok, I won’t be at all happy if Lindsay wins, but I think I might actually punch somebody if Sarah wins. Chefs Floyd Corda, Anita Lo, and Takashi Yagihash enter. Sarah acts as if she’s about to die of joy, which is strange for somebody who’s spent all season bashing Bev and Asian food. She’s paired with Corda, Lindsay with Anita, and Paul with Takashi, whom Sarah wanted because she “respects him immensely” and they’re friends. I wonder if that was still the case after he saw how she treated Bev/Asian food all season. Padma says each team will have 40 minutes to create an Asian-inspired dish; team members must take turns cooking in 10-minute intervals. Winner gets $20k. Hot damn!

- Lindsay/Anita: scallop two ways
- Sarah/Floyd: pan seared cod
- Paul/Takashi: clam sashimi


Emeril pronounces Sarah/Floyd the winner. Afraid that this is a sign of things to come, I seriously just want to turn off the tv and go play Words with Friends. But I forge on. Padma tells the chefs that they have to make one dish and one cocktail for 150 people at a Fire and Ice cocktail party; the dish has to contain both a hot and a cold element. Emeril warns them that doing something simplistic like chili with a scoop of sour cream isn’t gonna cut it. Padma says the winner gets a trip for two to Costa Rica. Hot double damn!

Random: I like Lindsay’s haircut, and I hate Sarah’s, and I want to make out with Paul and feed him ice cream.

They go shopping for ingredients. Sarah buys halibut, and we’re shown a flashback of her yelling at Beverly during Restaurant Wars about overcooking the fish. The next day, Tom visits with the chefs as they cook; he makes me love him to pieces when he asks Lindsay, since it looked like the problem during Restaurant Wars was her instruction and not Bev’s skill, did she pick halibut again to show she could do it right? HA HA HAAAAA, BURN. Sarah, Lindsay, and Paul are wishing this was one of those seasons when previously eliminated contestants come back to help them cook. ME TOO. I miss you, Bev. :(


Paul:
- dish: king crab in lobster broth with lemon snow
- cocktail: kaffir lime juice, palm sugar, palm chilies, rum
Tom likes the dish but is annoyed by the use of arugula as nothing more than a garnish, says the drink is “a little on the sweet side” but goes well with the dish.


Sarah:
- dish: five greens-filled pasta with garlic and chili, spiced sformato
- cocktail: gin, kumquats, and mango
Tom and Gail comment on how the sformato is hard and unmelting, though it has a good flavor. Emeril says she nailed the pasta. Gail loves the citrus-y drink, but she and Tom don’t think it goes well with the dish.


Lindsay:
- dish: halibut with fiery celery root salad, shaved tomato ice
- cocktail: vodka, tomato, horseradish
Emeril says his is really hot, Gail says hers is really fiery, Tom says he didn’t get any heat at all. He says the fish is great but the kale is raw. Gail loves the seasoned ice. Emeril liked the drink with the dish but said by itself it’s very flat.

Ok, can I dare to dream? If the only real complaint about Paul’s dish was his garnish, it sounds like he’s safe and Lindsay and Sarah are in the bottom. *hopeful*


Tom tells Paul the arugula seemed like an afterthought added to the plate only for color. Gail tells Sarah the mousse was so frozen it was hard to eat. Tom says Lindsay’s tomatoes were so great, they outshined the fish.

I can’t stand it anymore, so I fast forward to the end. Sarah is through. DAMMIT. I hold my breath and cross my fingers and pray—YES!!!! Lindsay goes home!!!

TEAM PAUL TEAM PAUL TEAM PAUL!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: